Pathfinder School Science

Look what is happening in science!

So Much Learning!

| 0 comments

Our Multi – Age unit on Garage and Waste was amazing but with all the snow days I am wondering if we will ever be able to showcase all of the learning that happened. I will attempt to do a recap of what happened in science and on our field trips. I am hoping your student shared what was going on during their multi-age days but knowing adolescence I’m not so sure:)

These were the Multi – Aged groups:

Water Issues                  Waste Issues               Plastic Issues

Anna

David B

Michael

Harper

Dylann

Noah

Oliver

Alisha

Dylan B

Sophia

David L

Lucy

Josie

Lauren

Hayden

Audrey

Gus

Lizzie

Lexis

Andre

Willow

Caroline

Maddie

Aiden

Lars

Evie

The students in the Plastic Issues (← click here to see the assignment)class followed this website for directions and learning. They were able to choose the students they wanted to work with based on common topics and interest.

Lexi, Maddie, Evie and Aidan

Plastic in the Oceans  – Google Slide but didn’t have time to finish 🙁

Willow, Andre, Caroline and Lars

Great Lakes Plastic Pollution 

The students in the Waste Issues (← click here to see the assignment) class followed this website for directions and learning. They were able to choose the students they wanted to work with based on common topics and interest.

Lizzie and Sophie investigated Food Waste and created this infographic

Gus, Audrey and Lucy worked on Fashion Waste and began this infographic. Unfortunately, they ran out of time:(

David, Josie, Lauren and Hayden –  Created this website (click below) in addition to a video. All students did research and collaborated.

Zero Waste

The students in the Water Pollution Issues (← click here to see the assignment) class followed this website for directions and learning. They were able to choose the students they wanted to work with based on common topics and interest.

These are some of what they produced. Since I am home I can not access the posters created but can include the information used. Please know that not all students were able to finish due to Snow days:(

Anna, Michael and Oliver

Pharmaceuticals in Our Water – this link includes the information from the poster.

Alisha and David Best

Beach Closings – this is a Google Slide

Dylann and Harper

Algae Blooms – poster – didn’t have time to finish:(

Noah and Dylan B

Algae Blooms Google Slide didn’t have time to finish 🙁

We were fortunate to visit American Waste where we learned what happens to our recyclables. At Oryana Coop we learned about bulk buying and zero waste and what the Coop does for our community. At Bay Area Recycling for Charities we learned about E-Waste and the fact that they recycle 500 mattresses a week!!!

In class we made beeswax wraps to use for lunches we bring to school.

I can’t even begin to describe how amazing these 2 short weeks were for me as a teacher. There is no way to quantify the learning – social, emotional, and content wise that went on during this learning adventure! For me to watch new friendships form and for students to see how others process information was inspiring. Additionally, the emotional outrage and fear the students began to feel about our precious planet Earth and the peril it is in, due to human’s careless regard for how we dispose of trash was evident. And what we learned about the persistence of plastic was terrifying!

AND ALL OF THIS HAPPENED JUST IN SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!