Pathfinder School Science

Look what is happening in science!

Science Expo and Joyful Learning

| 0 comments

Dear Families,

I thought I should update you on the plan for the Science Expo as I had a parent think it was this evening. I am so happy I postponed this fun event to March 14th at 6:00. I am including a link for each class with the new dates and details as to what is due when.

5th Grade Invention Convention  Click Here

6th Grade Wax Museum Click Here

7th Grade Science Project Click Here

8th Grade will be displaying research on some common science misconceptions Click Here for assignment. Additionally, they will be making hovercrafts to entertain the masses.

I am still thinking about a project for 4th grade but it will be done at school:)

There will also be the usual  family science table full of hands on projects for all to do.  Hopefully the table will be managed by some wonderful alums:). Feel free to invite your friends and neighbors as it really is a great science night.

Science Classroom News

4th grade was sad to have to stop studying animals when we returned to school. Energy transformation has, however, captured our imagination. We have done a few labs and are now looking at Forces that affect the motion in our lives.

In class, 5th grade is studying cells. We are making a 20ft X 20ft cell out of plastic. Your student is making an organelle they have researched to place in the cell. Some students did this on a snow day others are making them here at school in Art and Science class. Thank you Ms. Ivy! They are so excited and thoroughly engaged in the process:).

The 6th graders have started studying Matter. We did an experiment involving Density. The students were challenged to get a film canister to sink, float and achieve neutral buoyancy. The next experiment involved predicting whether the mass of Bubbalicious Bubble Gum increases or decreases as it is chewed. This involves chewing the gum then weighing it and finding the volume using water displacement. It is SO GROSS! Ask your student what happens to the gum. Both of these experiments require the students to make predictions, gather evidence and graph and interpret data.

7th and 8th grade is studying the Brain. They are currently researching the effect certain street drugs have on the brain. They will be sharing their findings with each other and will post them on their blog when finished for you to see. You can see the assignment here.

We were fortunate to have the Elmwood Township fire department come in and give a presentation on ice safety. It was AWESOME! The students learned how to get out of the ice if they fall through, to always go with someone and tell your parents where you are going, have spikes or nails to get out of the ice hole if you do fall in, leave the windows open if you go out on the ice in a vehicle, that clear ice is stronger that white ice and so much more!

Thank you Elmwood!

Finally here are just a few shots from the amazing Trashion Fashion Show!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me or leave a comment. Also, be sure to check out your student’s blog and others!

Thanks,

Shane