Pathfinder School Science

Look what is happening in science!

8/31/2020 Welcome to Science

| 0 comments

Dear Families,

WOW, what a beginning. Some of you may not have been aware but last week I was on my annual family vacation. With school starting early I chose to come to school the first day but then spent time with my family. I have to say that it was great to see my students on Wednesday and it looked like everyone 6-8 had a “dam” good time at the beach and with the LOC staff. 

We are officially back to school and learning full time on Monday. I am in my classroom now gathering what I will need to teach outside, editing previous lessons that have always begun in the classroom, and stressing over what I will forget upstairs and how I will handle not being in my comfort zone. I realize this is a learning process for all of us teachers, administrators, and students and we all will have to adapt. 

All 6-8 graders have been assigned a Chromebook. This is the school’s property and your student may bring it home and use it as needed. We ask that they have it at school each day all charged and ready to go. IF your student has a laptop or tablet with a keyboard they are welcome to bring it and not use the one provided by the school. This is with the understanding that he or she is responsible for its care and that he or she will abide by the rules of the school and not text or use any social media that is loaded on the personal device while at school. 

The 7th and 8th graders will start the year studying insects. I have created a website that outlines the project and expectations in-depth. Insects are Awesome. I was also able to secure a donation from Northern Building Supply for plywood. This will enable your student to create their own personal chair. Look for a loud “All Hands on Deck” for parent volunteers. It will not be this week! 

The 6th graders will be working on experimental design this first week then will dive deep into our local ecology and then the global environment. Each student will be doing a project on an assigned owl. Stop the Uppity Resort. I will assign owls early this week or next.

The 6th grade (and new students in 7&8)  will be responsible for writing a blog due each Sunday night. I will go over this in detail in class and help to set them up. If you DO NOT want your student to have a public blog I can make it private. 

Finally, I would like to ask that you speak to your student about how we really are in school despite being outside and despite how warm it is and how it still feels like vacation. I am so happy to be back but the new mask protocols, the way we can and can not gather, how we travel on campus and so much more is stressful for all! I really want to stay together and not go back to ZOOM!!! The following are some Classroom Standards of Behavior that students created a few years ago. If you could please go over them with your student it would be appreciated.

As always please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns. 

Best,

Shane

Classroom Standards of Behavior

Learning is an activity that demands focus and attention.

Come to class always ready to participate fully in assignments. 

Bring all papers and pencils to class.

WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY

Use mature, deliberate voices with appropriate tone. 

Don’t doodle unless there is a drawing assignment or your doodles pertain to the lecture.

Listen attentively and be prepared to answer and participate.

Don’t eat in class unless given permission.

Practice note-taking and study skills.

Take ownership of your own learning.

Recognize that thinking critically takes focus and practice.